General Savings Tips
Whatever your size and type of your business, these tips can help you save energy and money.
- Understand your equipment so you know what equipment uses the most energy, and what could be disconnected at certain times.
- If your equipment is over 5 to 10 years old, it may be worthwhile to buy more efficient equipment. The energy you save could quickly make up for the cost of replacement. You could also qualify for up to $1,000 in free energy upgrades through the Electricity Retrofit Incentive Program.
- Install efficient lights. You could reduce energy use by 40% just by replacing T12 fluorescents and magnetic ballasts with T8 lamps and electronic ballasts. And replace old EXIT lights with newer, energy-efficient LED models.
- Install humidity control systems in large walk-in refrigerators — they’ll reduce temperatures in the fridge by 2 to 4 degrees.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Save up to 10% on your energy use!
- Use recommended thermostat set points. In summer, set the thermostat at 25°C during work hours and 28°C after hours; each degree you raise it can lower your air conditioning costs by up to 2%. In winter, set it at 20°C during work hours and 17°C after hours.
- Use window blinds to create shade and keep your workplace cooler.
- Have a dress code that allows employees to dress comfortably for warmer temperatures.
- Adjust work schedules where possible to lower energy use when demand is highest.
- Install energy-efficient ceiling fans, which can cool a room by up to 4°C.
- Install window film, solar screens or awnings on south and west-facing windows that get the most sun.
- Maintain your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems — keeping them efficient can save up to 30% of fan energy and up to 10% of space conditioning energy.
- Reduce your air conditioner use by installing an energy-efficient attic fan or evaporative cooler.
- Talk with your landlord or tenant about energy efficiency. It might be possible to share the cost of efficiency upgrades, which not only lower electricity bills but increase property value.
- Use LED lights to decorate your business and save up to 85% in energy costs, and replace your old EXIT signs with newer LED models.